Tuesday, July 21, 2009

2 weeks old already






Does anyone know how to change a newborns sleeping schedule? This little girl thinks that she can sleep all day long and stay up all night long! The other night I was up with her from midnight until five a.m. then it was Levi's turn from five until eight when she finally fell asleep. We try and play with her all day but she won't even peek out her eyes at all. We even have to wake her up to feed her and even then I don't think that she is totally awake. HELP!!!

Besides the crazy sleeping schedule she is doing great. I took her to her two week appointment today and she weighed 9lbs 3oz. She has gained 1lbs since leaving the hospital! Her skin has cleared up from all that baby acne. When the doctor was examining her today he found a bump on her collar bone and he thinks that she may have broken it when she was being delivered. I took her for an x-ray today. The doctor's office called later and told us that her collarbone is broken and mending and that she will have a bump there for a while until it heals. We just thought she might be left handed because she always used her left hand over her right.

But other than the collarbone, the doctor said she is doing great. She is a pretty happy baby if you can keep her moving. She doesn't like to be handed off, especially if you are taking her from her dad. When she is sleeping she likes to reach up and stroke the hair on the side of her head. We will try to post more pictures when we can get pics that are awake and happy.

9 comments:

Aaron and Kaime said...

oh, She is so sweet!!! COngrats!

FrankandAsh said...

Don't get me wrong my child is not a perfect sleeper, but i've learned a little. Her day and nights are mixed up. You have to make sure you make the day time very active open your windows, make her nap where there's noise like the tv. Then at night when she is up, don't talk to her keep it dark and quiet. Have a night routine, which you might have to play with a little. I had to just switch parker and give him baths at night. I was giving him a message but he would get so excited and i couldn't get him to go to sleep. And definately do the swaddling i wish i would have done this with parker it seems to work great for people. anyway sorry for the long message i hope it helps.

Elise and Danny Neilsen said...

I totally agree with your friend Frank and Ash! :) But I think I told you the same thing on the phone the other day! And the swaddling is Huge I think!!! I seriously swaddled Reed till he was like 6 months! I'm not kidding! swaddle her tight too! They are so use to being so tight in your belly! It is somewhat immpossible to have a newborn on a "schedule" but the only way to teach her the difference between night and day is to do regular day and night activity and she will catch on. I just hope it is sooner than later!

Diane Arnett Gardiner said...

Hey...I'm Steve Arnett's sister...just checking in on good ol' Levi after seeing you on Brindy's blog. I just had to put in my two cents. I swaddle until they are about a year, never under estimate the swaddle!! One of my sisters kids swaddled for 18 months! Keep them unwrapped during the day and swaddled at night. Their jerky movements will not allow them as much "restful" sleep during the day. And have you read "Baby wise"? It worked like a charm when my twins were doing exactly what you descibe here!

A little tip my sis-in-law gave me that helped me get theough it all. Even if you have five children and spend the entire first year of each of their lives up all night with them, it's only five years! Five years out of what, 85?! One year of cuddling, loving and being alone with that one special person. A year that you will never be able to repeat, even when you want to!

Romi said...

She is so adorable!! And you look so great Kathy!!

Steve + Brindy Arnett said...

She is so cute! its crazy how she already looks different in such short time! I hope you get the sleep schedule figured out.. Im a little nervous about how that is going to be! Im thinking i can start now before hes born and just poke him alot during the day1 :) haha...

Marshall and Jennifer said...

I LOVE her little yellow sun dress!

{Steve and Amanda} said...

She is a cutie! Hopefully her collar bone will heal soon.

You are looking great! We are actually in AZ right now, so we are pretty excited to be here.

Noelle @ Mesa AZ Photography said...

I really like her hair, it is highly entertaining. And that bouncy seat totally dwarfs her. haha. I'm sad her collar bone turned out to be broken, but hopefully it hasn't been causing her too much pain.