Monday, February 9, 2009

Food by the sweat of your brow.

Levi here. Since Kathy is spending her time growing a baby I have decided to get started on my garden this year and start growing some fruits and vegetables. That's not really true; I would be gardening whether or not Kathy was pregnant, I just thought that it sounded clever.
This year I have decided to focus my efforts on growing some quality plants. In the past I have grown many different kinds of veggies at a time just to see what works and to have some interesting plants. But this year I am only going to grow three vegetables: yellow crookneck squash, pickling cucumbers, and okra. I will also be growing some cantaloupe, and some watermelon. I have already sprouted some yellow watermelon and I hope they survive this storm we just had. I might return back to my old ways and grow a few different types of watermelon.
Growing your own food is pretty amazing. Kathy and I like to go out and see how much has changed each day and then come up with creative ways to use up our fruits. Last fall I had more than a few pumpkins so we roasted seeds, made pumpkin breads and muffins, carved some for Halloween, and still had some to give away.
We're hoping to have a good haul this summer because we want to try to pickle some cukes and okra (two of Kathy's favorite snacks) and we will probably need extras to perfect the process. I am also going to need to figure out a new fence to keep out the dogs. Shaka found out where carrots come from and now I find paw prints in the garden once in a while.
I will keep the blog updated with garden news and pictures of our harvests.

2 comments:

katie said...

I don't think I even know what okra looks like... Maybe I'll wikipedia it. So when do you find out the gender?

{Steve and Amanda} said...

Aww, you are both growing :) I'm envious, I really want to start a garden but we will have to wait a little while to do so. The fruits sound especially yummy. I don't know if I've ever heard of yellow watermelon before. Is the only difference the color?